The PAL Card (Powered Access Licensed-Registration) is recognized worldwide across industries as proof of platform operator training to the highest standard.
It is issued by the International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) and its North American subsidiary, AWPT, to platform operators who successfully complete a training course at an AWPT-approved training center.
The AWPT training program was developed by leading industry professionals and it meets OSHA requirements. It is based on the IPAF training program which is certified by TÜV as conforming to the international standard ISO 18878:2004 Mobile elevating work platforms – Operator (driver) training.
More than 90,000 PAL Cards are issued each year through over 550 approved training centers around the world.
If you need to work at height and use access equipment:
- AWPT believes that you should receive basic training.
- In addition to your main job, e.g. electrician, painter, decorator, cleaner, you will acquire a new skill.
- Platforms are designed to be easy to use and offer a safe way to work at height, but with basic training you will use the equipment more effectively and safely.
If you are an employer:
- You can be sure that legal requirements have been fulfilled if your platform operators have the PAL Card.
- Most legislation, covering occupational safety and health obligations, accident prevention and work at height regulations, require you to provide employees with proper and adequate training in the use of work equipment.
- AWPT training to the highest standards means that your platform operators will also work more efficiently and productively.
The PAL Card is valid for five years. It shows the date on which the holder was assessed and the expiry date by which re-training would be needed.
It shows the types of equipment that the holder has been trained to operate.
It shows the level to which the holder has been trained, e.g. operator, demonstrator and instructor.
It has security features including a holographic logo and the holder’s photograph and signature to prevent mis-use.
|WhatisPAL (905.3 KB)|
Proper training for platform operators is vital
The PAL Card is accepted and recognized as proof of platform operator training in many countries. Some examples are:
- UK Contractors Group
- Scaffold & Access Industry Association in the USA
- Berufsgenossenschaften in Germany
- Assodimi in Italy
- Asociace ZZ-CR in the Czech Republic
If someone flashes the PAL Card, you can be sure that he or she has been trained to work with platforms correctly and safely.